On May 25, 2018 the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) becomes effective and enforceable. This set of regulations grants rights to citizens within the European Union and is meant to strengthen and unify data protection.
The Blender Market is fully committed to achieving compliance before the deadline and we will apply these high privacy standards to everyone, even non-EU citizens. Here is what it means to you.
The GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) gives EU citizens full rights over their data and how it's used. Failure to comply can result in steep fines. Under the GDPR, your rights include:
- Right to be informed - Companies must be transparent in how they are using personal data and must inform users of this.
- Right of access - Users will have the right to know what personal data is held about them and how it is processed.
- Right of rectification - Where reasonably possible, users will be entitled to have personal data rectified/edited if they feel that it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure - This is also sometimes referred to as 'the right to be forgotten', Here, users have the right to have their personal data permanently deleted upon their request and they do not have to provide a reason for the request.
- Right to restrict processing - Users have the right to block processing of their personal data.
- Right to data portability - Where reasonably possible, users have the right to retain and reuse their personal data for their own purpose.
- Right to object - In certain circumstances, users are entitled to object to their personal data being used. This includes, if personal data is used for the purpose of direct marketing, scientific and historical research, or for the performance of a task in the public interest.
- Rights to object automation - Users have the right to not be subject to a decision based solely on profiling or automated processing.
What's the Blender Market doing for GDPR?
We're currently defining a roadmap to ensure full compliance and have been busy for weeks reading every last detail of the GDPR.
Our Crew Will Be Ready to Handle Your Requests
It's important that everyone here at the Blender Market understand what GDPR is, and what role it plays in our day-to-day operations. In time, our support team will start to field requests from users. When this happens, we'll be ready with protocols and procedures in place to fulfill these request quickly and efficiently.
We're Ensuring Your Data Stays Private
Because we use personal data for marketing purposes and monitoring application performance, we've initiated a full audit of how this information is being used. In this process we'll be identifying mechanisms that we have in place to safeguard this data, which include running through risk assessment scenarios to determine what impact a breach would have, should one occur.
Know What We Do With Your Data
The biggest changes will come in the form of explaining, in plain language, the results of the privacy impact assessment. You will be able to see how your data is being used together with our various 3rd party data processors.
New Tools To Give You More Control
You will see new features and tools designed to give you 100% control over your personal data shared with us. These new features will include tools like a new privacy center, data export options, profile deletion tools, and ways to stop your data from being shared with other companies. Under the hood, we'll be taking new security measures to further protect your data.
What Happens Next?
Becoming fully GDPR compliant is a multi-step process, one we're truly excited to take part in. Once we're done we'll make an announcement here to let you know we're ready.
In the meantime, you can sleep sound knowing your data is already safeguarded according to all current legislative requirements. GDPR just means that we're stepping up our game even more.